Scarponi – Valle Peligna Christmas Cookies
Scarponi are the extremely easy to make traditional Christmas cookies of Sulmona and the Peligna Valley. Their name translates as little boots and are rich, and naturally sweetened using Mosto Cotto, this is slowly cooked unfiltered grape juice that includes the must (skin and seeds) which gives a flavorsome alternative to sugar.
- 500 g Flour
- 100 of Sugar
- 200 ml Mosto Cotto,
- 100 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100 g Sugar
- 100 g Dark Chocolate
- 50 g Cocoa
- 50 g Candied Peel
- 100 g Sultanas,
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 160 g Walnuts
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Soak the sultanas in hot water.
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder oil and yeast.
- If the mixture is too hard increase the amount of Mosto Cotto and a little more flour if it is too soft.
- Squeeze the water from the sultanas, add in with the chopped almonds, walnuts cinnamon.
- Divide the dough into small piles and spoon onto a greased baking sheet. Make sure they have enough space between each other as they will expand
- Bake at 160 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Leave them in the baking pan to firm up until they cool otherwise they will crumble.